Monday, July 27, 2009

Building Business: The CEO Way

Last week I talked about getting the best bang for your buck by hiring SMEs (subject matter experts). Rather than spending hours trying to figure out how to blog and tweet, why not hire a SME, pay the nominal fee and spend 2 hours being trained instead of 2 days researching?!

It gets me thinking: how do you value YOUR time? If you were to hire yourself out, what would you charge? Do you place a $$ value on your time or do you make a 'to do' list and just blast your way through it? Does each activity have a cost or return associated with it?

Consider that your time is just as valueable as a SME's time. You ARE an expert. You are the Owner who knows more about your business than anyone else - why not give yourself the value you deserve and delegate appropriately, freeing you up to make the most impact and create success for your precious company?! It goes without saying, of course, that we are monetarily immeasureable in the human sense, but if say your worth is $100/hr, then doesn't it stand to reason that you should be working ON your business - not dusting the shelves, tidying and organizing stock and trying to figure out how to use the POS? Consider that your time might be best spent working on developing the processes and operations of your business, setting corporate goals and establishing strategies - really understanding the direction and vision. Every entrepreneur has read The E-Myth, right?

Delegating doesn't mean "giving it away". It is actually effective management, plain and simple - leaving you to do what CEOs do (that's you, the CEO!), which is to create the strategy and vision of the company, build teams and encourage culture. BE the company culture and BE a leader not a manager (micro-). Having put in place objectives and monitoring metrics, your job is to monitor the progress of others.

Surround yourself with SMEs, outsource appropriately and monitor everything, Ms. CEO.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura

    I was searching for Project Management sites to see where my company came up on the Google search and I came across your site. Glad that I did as you have a very similar way of thinking and yes I have read the E-Myth as it has been the basis for how we manage our company. How else are you ever going to find the time to go windsurfing?

    This article that you wrote is so about what I am trying to accomplish that I just wanted to let you know that your business IDEA of taking a Project Management approach to Business Management is so SMART.

    I was looking at your favorite book recommendations and will check them out. Have you read "Good to Great" & The Lazy Project Manager.

    I hope your business is going Great as I really like your business concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am embarrassed to say that I've not blogged for sooooo long...I took on another project and THEN decided to update my logo and website! The logo updates should be finshed in the next couple of weeks; hope you'll have a look and give me some feedback. I have read Good to Great (fantastic) but not The Lazy Project Manager. Sounds intriguing so I'll put it on my list! Thanks for connecting.

    ReplyDelete