Saturday, June 13, 2009

Strategic Thinkers

Strategy was once defined as "the art of planning and directing large military movements..." In business, a strategy clearly shouldn't be about managing miltary, but rather about how you will (in a friendly way!) bring your product to life, get it all done and still be home for a hot meal once in a while.

Strategic thinkers are big picture thinkers and tend to have particular qualities: they enjoy being part of a team, they see problems as opportunities, they balance short and long-term goals, they stay calm in crisis and unexpected events, and are generally very good communicators. The difference between analytical thinkers and strategic thinkers is that the latter moves from analysis into action. We've all heard of "analysis paralysis". Strategic thinkers also tend to be one step ahead, great forecasters and quite often accurate in their predictions - perhaps due to "fall off, get back up and do it again" experience! A strategic thinker will incorporate processes and never, ever reinvent the wheel. In fact, the first question when embarking on a new project is always "who has done this before and should I get in touch with them?!"

So...we've just arrived in Oliver to spend a few days with family, eat more than usual and relax (ie, sleep on the dock all day until the next trough-run). During the drive up I got to thinking about 'thinking'. My husband jokes about the fact that I don't have an "off" switch - I am in fact always 'on'. I like thinking, strategizing, juggling and figuring. For me, life is much more interesting when I'm wiggling strategy into managing my way through more than I can handle. I am very left-brained, but find that I am actually tapping into my right brain (creativity) when I'm strategizing. Who said I couldn't paint!

Perhaps you could try: life as a project. For starters, break your professional daytime into units (I use 1 hour blocks). Each unit will now have a value depending on what I'm working on; revenue-generating activities (ie, bigger value), dreaded filing or invoicing, professional volunteering, networking, refreshing my education, etc. If you think of time in units you're able to quickly distinguish the real value of each activity, which makes delegating tasks much easier and gives you the freedom to focus on activities that require your expertise. At the end of the day, you have strategically (maybe unknowingly!) aligned your activities with your business plan and have likely experienced less subjectivity and more efficiency (this translates into less emotion and more energy). Life is supposed to be easy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can't believe what I just read. I didn't realize there was a definition of what a "strategic thinker" is - I didn't really even think about it, but now I will have to give it more thought. I work as a paralegal in high-conflict litigation and, I guess, I'm the strategic thinker. The main challenge I have is balancing "work" thinking with "private life" thinking. I'm not sure if I explained that very well, but i cannot just stop thinking about work - the thoughts just keep going. I currently have one process that seems to be relatively effective in the transition into "personal time" (after I leave work), but sometimes it takes a few hours (eg. I play competitive card games on line). I would be interested in hearing if other people have the same problem with this "transition" time.


    from Janice

    ReplyDelete